17.10.17

To grow human, not so easy

When I Was One-and-Twenty (slightly changed)

By A.E. Housman (1859 - 1936)
 
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRPpVYhT1R5Jyc1s94INH88JAZXOKdNSbNh8JUt6InOGLC0y0v5
                       When I was one-and-twenty                                      
                              I heard a wise man say,                                       
                       “Give crowns and pounds and guineas                      
                              But not your heart away;                                   
                        Give pearls away and rubies                                       
                              But keep your fancy free.”                                   
                        But I was one-and-twenty,
                              No use to talk to me.

                        When I was one-and-twenty
                              I heard him say again,
                        “The heart out of the bosom       
                              Was never given in vain;
                                                                                    ’Tis paid with sighs a plenty
                                                                                          And sold for endless rue.”
                                                                                    And I am nine-and-sixty,
                                                                                         And oh, ’tis true, ’tis true.





Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti

Voit mielihyvin kommentoida blogejani. Du kan gärna lämna kommentarer på mina bloggar. You are welcome to comment on my blogs. Bonvolu, skribu notojn pri miaj blogoj.